Why Goals Are Important
Whether it is career development, exploring new hobbies, rebuilding relationships or improving on personal achievements, setting goals is key to success. Setting goals can help you to push yourself in directions that you never imagined possible helping you to grow and develop.
In order for you to feel fulfilled it is important that you feel like you are working towards an achievable goal. Below I have listed three things for you to consider when thinking about what it is you want to achieve.
1. It is important that you have identified a clear outcome. Ask yourself what it is that you want to achieve: What do you want? Where do you want to be?
2. Following this think about why you want to achieve this. How will it add value to your life? Will it give you personal or financial gain? What benefits will it bring to your life?
3. I would then like you to ask yourself how motivated you are at achieving this goal? Zero being you are not motivated at all. Ten being very high, you are motivated and in the zone. Honesty is key to its success!
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Tips to Get Things Moving
1. It is important to recognise excuses. If things keep getting in the way, ask yourself are you ready to achieve this goal? If the answer is “yes”, refocus and think of the desired outcome. If “no”, do not set yourself up to fail, it is just not the right time.
2. To help you to focus, say to yourself – ‘what is the worst that can happen if I do not aim for this goal?’ And ‘what is the best that can happen if I do aim for this goal?’
3. Stepping out of your comfort zone can hold you back. To support this do your research, find out the full facts, this can help you make an informed decision.
4. The voice inside your head can at times hold you back. Be aware of your internal dialogue, do you criticise yourself, have you set yourself up to fail before you have begun, recognise and then challenge those negative thoughts. If you struggle with this, read my blog ‘is your glass half full or half empty https://www.focusedsolutions.uk/post/is-your-glass-half-full-or-half-empty
5. Break your goals down into small achievable steps. Small realistic goals are more achievable; they will keep you focused and motivated.
6. Keep reminding yourself, why you set this goal, what your desired outcome is.
Now create your own future and enjoy the journey