BACK TO SCHOOL
Going back to school or the transition into high school or college can be a very stressful or nerve wracking time for some children/young people. I have listed below some strategies to help reduce any negative feelings and to hopefully make the return/transition more positive 😁
1. Establish routine and go to bed early the night before
2. Talk and explore any concerns that are worrying your child. Parent(s) don't dismiss any negative feelings, talk about them, these feelings are important to the child/young person.
3. Arrange to go into school/college with a friend.
4. Plan and have ready school uniform/outfit the night before.
5. Focus on the positive aspects of going to school/college (friends/learning new skills/gaining qualifications/fun activities/Independence)
5. Make sure the school/college bag is packed the night before, so everything that is required is in there.
6. Have times and journeys/routes planned.
7. Plan how they are getting home at the end of the school/college day.
7. Plan their favourite meal for when they are getting home.
8. Listen and talk to them about their school/college day.
Exercises to help reduce any anxious feelings:-
Here is a breathing technique that can be used should they start to feel anxious at school.
“Take a long, slow breath in through your nose, hold your breath for 1,2,3… breathe out slowly through your mouth. Do this three times.”
Below are some grounding exercises that can help distract your child:-
Look around and name in your head, not aloud, the following:
. Name four sounds you can hear
. Name your three favourite colours in the room
. Name two things you can smell
. Name one thing that’s great about you
Good luck, I hope you have a good day! 💪
Contact me should you wish to discuss further or if your child is struggling with low mood (anxiety/low self esteem/behaviour concerns/worries/sadness)